You want to learn about diamonds and 4Cs? What is diamond clarity? Read this article and discover everything you need to know!
Natural or organic diamonds are the result of carbon exposed to heat and pressure beneath the Earth’s crust. This process can usually result in various internal characteristics which are known as inclusions and external characteristics which are known as blemishes.
Diamond clarity refers to the absence of blemishes and inclusions.
Determining the clarity of the diamond includes identifying the number, nature, size, position, and relief of these two characteristics and how these impact the appearance of the stone or in this case the diamond. As you probably know – no diamond is perfectly clear and pure and the closer it is – the higher the value. Most of the inclusions, as well as, blemishes cannot be noticed by the naked eye and gemologists usually use a microscope (ten-power microscope) to rate the clarity of the diamond.
The Diamond Clarity Scale has 5 different categories:
- Flawless Category (FL) & Internally Flawless Category (IF) – These diamonds contain no inclusions when looked with 10x magnification. The IF or internally flawless diamonds may include blemishes.
- Very Very Slightly Included Category VVS (There are VVS1 and VVS2) – These stones contain minute inclusions which are extremely difficult to notice and locate under 10x magnification.
- Very Slightly Included Category or VS (There are VS1 and VS2) – These diamonds contain minute inclusions such as crystals, clouds, and feathers which are quite difficult to notice and locate with 10x magnification.
- Slightly Included (SI1, SI2 & SI3) – These diamonds contain noticeable inclusions which are relatively easy to locate under 10x magnification such as knots, clouds, crystals, feathers, and cavities.
- Included (I1, I2, I3) – These diamonds contain obvious inclusions that usually can be seen with the naked eye and also under 10x magnification. These diamonds usually display lack of brilliance.
Brilliant Earth is one of the best diamond jewelry stores on the market that offers conflict-free, eco-friendly, and quality diamonds. It allows you to create your own diamond ring, bracelet, necklace or earrings by choosing a diamond and setting.
Those who prefer to wear a diamond with no or little inclusions will choose a clarity rating of FL-IF or VVS. While still considered as valuable, the diamonds rated in the VS range will not cost as much as premium clarities.
If you want, you can consult with some of the professional jewelers at Brilliant Earth and they will help you choose a diamond of your choice.
Diamonds are forever 4Cs Fact 3 Carat – Diamond Carat weight is the measurement of how much a diamond weighs. A metric “carat” is defined as 200 milligrams. At Galio we can source a diamond and design a ring just for you #diamond #ring #carat #StAlbans https://t.co/kExJQG4bOW pic.twitter.com/Jts8JONXPK
— GalioJewellers (@GalioJewellers) 27 de mayo de 2018